Allowed for Human Consumption
When entering Mexico, you may import the following items for personal consumption. They are subject to inspection and must pose no risk of introducing a pest or disease. This is applicable to both tourists and returning residents. Some items have maximum quantities as per here.
Vegetables, Their Products and By-Products
- Peeled almonds and hazelnuts
- Roasted coffee
- Pelletized cereals
- Spices: vanilla, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, mace, amomum varieties, cardamom varieties, aniseed, coriander, fennel, ginger, saffron, turmeric, thyme, bay leaves, curry, etc.
- Dehydrated fruits (seedless)
- Cereal, oilseed and legume flours
- Medicinal herbs (only dried)
- Dehydrated vegetables
- Ilkin palm tree seeds
- Seedless cashews and walnuts
- Dried pistachios (salted)
- Dehydrated tobacco
- Dried mate
Animal Products and By-Products
- Aged cheese
- Pasteurized or ultra-pasteurized liquid milk
- Condensed milk
- Powered milk
- Canned/packaged and labeled breastmilk substitute (infant formula)
- Serrano ham or aged shoulders
- Aged cured meats
- Thermally processed poultry and pork cured meats packaged, labeled and sealed
- Packaged and labeled dried beef
- Turkey meats or smoked chicken
- Canned bottled and labeled pate from any species
- Wholly processed food preparations with meat content from any species (excluding ruminants) including any of the following consumables: eggs, honey and diary packaged and labeled products. For example: stuffed pasta, cheesecake, pates.
- Natural bottled honey
- Frozen or iced fresh fish in any presentation
- Dried, freeze-dried, cooked or smoked fish in any presentation
- Canned or bottled fish, labelled, indicating the type of fish, expiration or preferred consumption date
- Fish products in other presentations (sauce, dry bone, crusts, etc.)
- Squid, octopus, winkles, sea cucumbers and oysters, fresh in any presentation, frozen or iced
- Dried, freeze-dried, cooked or smoked squid, octopus, winkles, sea cucumbers and oysters
- Squid, octopus, winkles, sea cucumbers and oysters in any other presentation (sauce, crusts, etc.)
- Dry, brined or smoked oysters
- All cooked crustaceans in any presentation (whole, tail, legs, etc.)
- Seafood products in any other presentations (sauce, condiments, dressings, crust, etc.)
- Combined raw and/or cooked seafood combos (seafood meals)
- Fresh dried and brined seaweeds in any presentation
Products Allowed for Animal Consumption
- Dry and humid, packaged and labelled balanced foods. No ruminant origin content (50 pounds / 22 kg).
- Packaged and labelled animal-sourced treats. No ruminant origin content (up to 10 pounds / 5 kg).
Alcohol and Cigarettes
- Three liters of liquor or beer and six litres of wine per adult.
- 25 cigars or 200 grams of tobacco
- Strollers, car seats, walkers, cribs
- Two cameras or camcorders, 3 cell phones, 1 GPS, 1 laptop, one portable printer or copier.
- One tent and camping equipment
- Two sets of personal sport gear; four fishing rods; three gliders with or without sails and their accessories; trophies and awards, as long as you can carry them without any difficulty.
- Two musical instruments and their accessories.
- One hand tool set, including its case, a drill, pliers, wrenches, screwdrivers, power cords, etc.
- One pair of binoculars and one telescope.
- Five laser disks, ten DVDs, thirty CDs, three software packs and five storing units for any electronic device.
- Five toys, including collectables, one videogame console and five videogames.
- One blood pressure monitor and one blood glucose monitor (or one monitor for both purposes), reagents included; drugs and other psychotropic substances, including cannabis in which case you must present the prescription, have the medical identification number or any other contact detail of your physician exclusively bring the amount needed for your trip.
Prohibited imports are those at risk of introducing a pest or disease into Mexico and under no circumstances can be imported.
Vegetables, Their Products and By-Products
- Pots or items with Vegetable sourced content
- Touristic entry of the below items is strictly prohibited if the importer does not meet the requirements set forth by SENASICA.
- Propagation materials (seeds, bulbs, slips, buds, stakes, etc.)
- Flowers, plants, fresh fruits and vegetables
- Grains (corn, bean, rice, quinoa, wheat, sesame, sunflower, green bean, lentil, etc.)
- Green coffee and tobacco
- Fresh chestnuts
Animals, and Animal By-Products
- Fresh meat of any species
- Balanced food for any species (except cats and dogs)
- Balanced food for cats and dogs with bovine, ovine and/or caprine meat
- Sandwiches, snacks, sub sandwiches, hamburgers, pizzas, etc., with meat and diary content without intact packaging or sanitary seal from the competent authority
- The entry of wholly processed food preparations with bovine meat, such as meatballs, lasagna, ravioli, etc.
- Pharmaceutical, chemical and biological products for animal use or consumption, or those products designed for therapeutic or research purposes
- Fresh cheeses
- Homemade or handmade products
- Fried chicken
- Untanned leather products
- Pots or items with leather source contents
- Garments with animal bones, skin and feathers
- Handicrafts made of carver or polished horns or bones
- Hunting trophies
- Any regulated animal species (except cat and dog)
- Containers with animals or animal remains
- Bullfighting, charro horsemanship and bull riding garments if they are stained with animal blood or remains of tissue
- Live, raw or dried crustaceans
- Aquaculture products for animal consumption
- Live turtles
- Regulated aquatic sourced products in poor condition and/or decomposing and/or with the presence of larvae or insects